Birmingham Sump Pump Maintenance
Trusted Sump Pump Maintenance Specialists in Alabama
Even the best-made sump pumps require regular maintenance and periodic inspections to continue operating at peak efficiency year-round. That is why OX Foundation Solutions provides superior Birmingham sump pump maintenance services to customers throughout our service area in Alabama. For many years, we have set the industry standard for basement waterproofing and moisture control issues and are ready to put our experience and resources to work for you.
Why choose our team? We:
- Offer transferrable lifetime warranties for our waterproofing services
- Are certified, licensed, and insured to back up our work
- Have superior credentials to most competitors
- Do not use subcontractors
- Are locally owned, not franchised
When you need to make sure that your basement sump pump system is operating properly, don't leave it to chance. Call (205) 839-7950 or contact us online to make an appointment and set up a sump pump inspection.
How Often Does My Sump Pump System Need Professional Maintenance in Alabama?
Maintaining your sump pump is crucial to ensuring its longevity and efficient operation, particularly during the rainy seasons when your basement is most vulnerable to flooding. To help avoid problems and ensure optimal functionality, we generally recommend that you schedule a maintenance visit once a quarter, particularly before the beginning of the winter and spring seasons. At the very least, you need to schedule a more comprehensive inspection on an annual basis.
If your sump pump is used frequently or nearing the end of its service life, it may require more frequent inspections and servicing. For instance, you may want to consider scheduling a maintenance visit after every major storm event. Doing so can help identify any potential issues early on and avoid expensive repairs or replacements down the line.
Our Birmingham sump pump maintenance experts are happy to assess the condition of your system and recommend the appropriate schedule. We offer maintenance programs designed to keep your sump pump in great shape year-round.
Preparing Your Sump Pump for Winter in Alabama
As temperatures drop, any water present in your sump pit or lines can freeze, causing blockages and potentially damaging your equipment. Additionally, frozen water could cause your sump pump to work harder, leading to wear and tear or even system failures when you need it the most. That is why it is so important to ensure that your sump pump is winter-ready.
Scheduling maintenance before winter begins is always a prudent decision, but there are also several things you can do to protect your sump pump during the colder months:
- When winter arrives, disconnect the sump pump's hose. Doing so will keep the water inside from freezing.
- If you successfully disconnected the line from the sump pump, make sure to reconnect it when the weather warms up again.
- Keep an additional line on hand for your sump pump. This is good advice not only during the winter but in all seasons throughout the year.
- Never unplug your sump pump throughout the winter, as warmer weather may arrive sooner than expected. You don't want your sump pump to be turned off at that time.
- Clear the debris from the sump pump's pit on a regularly.
- Check the condition of your sump pump on a regular basis.
- Keep the heat on! Your basement can get quite cold and potentially cause the pump's pipes to freeze.
Prepare Your Sump Pump for Spring in Alabama
Spring often brings significant rainfall, which can put your sump pump to the test. Our Birmingham sump pump maintenance experts can thoroughly evaluate the condition of your system and carry out any servicing or repairs needed after the wear and tear of the winter months.
We can prepare your sump pump for spring by:
- Removing the cover and inspecting components. Over time, sediment, debris, and other materials might accumulate inside the tank, obstructing the pump's activity and potentially causing it to malfunction or fail entirely. We'll get a good look under your sump pump cover and check the tank for accumulated mud, rocks, gravel, or other debris.
- Flushing the system. By regularly flushing the system with water, you can effectively remove any obstructions that may have accumulated within it over the winter, ensuring that your pump can function optimally during the rainy season. After flushing your system, we will verify whether it is operating at maximum capacity.
- Assessing any noises. An improperly working sump pump will likely make sounds you don't recognize. Any noises out of the ordinary are red flags indicating a need for maintenance, repairs, or upgrades to sufficiently prepare your sump pump for spring weather.
- Checking the valve. Your sump pump requires a 3/16-inch relief hole in the pipe between the pump and the check valve. This prevents the check valve from vapor lock and extends your sump pump’s service life.
Adjusting Groundwater Levels for Sump Pits in Alabama
Changes in groundwater levels entering your sump pit can cause your pump to work harder than it should. If these levels become consistently high, and your sump pump is struggling to keep pace, then adjusting groundwater levels by deepening or adding sump pits could be necessary. Modifying groundwater levels as needed is a crucial part of sump pump maintenance, as not maintaining these levels can damage your pump.
When the pump is running, the sump pit water levels should be no more than 3 inches. These levels should maintain your sump pump adequately. Your sump pump should cycle sufficiently if water rises no further than 6 to 7 inches below the ground floor, typical for an overall 10-inch sump pit depth. If you can't maintain at least a 6-inch safety cushion for flood or overflow purposes, your sump pit could need a groundwater level adjustment. Fortunately, OX Foundation Solutions can properly measure and adjust groundwater levels for your sump pump pit.
We Offer Sump Pump Cleanout Services in Alabama
Maintenance is a must when your filthy sump pump needs special attention. Our team provides fast, safe, reliable, and effective sump pump cleanout maintenance at affordable rates for homes or businesses throughout Alabama – and on an emergency basis.
Don't ignore or overlook your sump pump cleanout and maintenance needs. Our highly skilled technicians use advanced equipment to remove dirt, clogs, debris, gravel, sludge, and more with specialized care.
Our Sump Pump Inspection Process
It is important to have your sump pump routinely inspected to confirm everything is functioning as it should. Our professionals understand the importance of a fully functional sump pump and its role in protecting your home, which is why our inspection process is carried out with meticulous attention to detail.
Every sump pump inspection includes:
- Cleaning sump liner(s)
- Cleaning pump(s)
- Inspecting the check valve
- Replacing the alarm battery
- Inspecting and cleaning ports
- Checking the downspouts
- Testing the water pump and switch(es)
- Checking and flushing the discharge line
- Checking and testing the backup battery
- Flushing the system
- Inspecting the exterior foundation
- Checking the voltage on the battery backup
- Verifying your pump is level and not tilting to either side
- Confirming cords and plugs are in good condition
If you do not remember when you last had your sump pump looked at, call (205) 839-7950 or contact us online to schedule an inspection!
Thank you Jackson for being so thorough and detailed with my yearly service and leveling out one of the units and the extra detail to replacing/cleaning the drain lines.- CD Jr.
A sweet lady at Ox even called me every morning to tell me the crew on the way and when to expect them, that was really nice.- George F.
This was the best decision we could have made. We got the house, that we loved, and Ox took us through each phase of the repair.- Al C.
I am very pleased with the work that all of the Ox Foundation Crews did.- Matt C.
Choosing the right company to do our work was a tedious process, but we could not be happier with our choice.- Jim B.
Ox Foundations strives for excellence, and it is shown in their work and employees!- Shannon N.
They were courteous and professional and their work was excellent.- Alan T.
He explained how the maintenance program would work and got us taken care of quickly.- Evan M.
Are you unsure if you need foundation work or just need to find out how much it will cost? We offer free, in-person, no-obligation estimates for any of our foundation, waterproofing, sump pump, or other services. Call us now to book an appointment.
Most people have other things they want and need to spend their money on besides foundation work, waterproofing, and crawl spaces, but putting this off can jeopardize the safety of your home. We've partnered with a finance company to offer low-interest finance options.
We stand behind the work we do. That is why we offer full, life-of-the-structure warranties that are transferable should you sell your home. We've been in business for several decades so we're not a fly-by-night company. We stand behind our work and will be there should you ever need us again.